Monday 5 May 2008

Do you have the right to be silent?


Now, something I can't get out of my head since yesterday. Being a female I have that tendency to watch all kinds of soaps. Not that I watch many, just two regularly. One of them is 'Men in Trees' ...a funny, not demanding soap that helps you to relax on Sunday afternoon when you're about to have your bad mood before going back to work on Monday. Anyway, not what I wanted to write about here....those digressions lol. The thing is last Sunday they asked a question there which got me thinking....the question was: "In a relationship, do you have the right to be silent?" Not an easy thing to answer, is it? And I'm not only thinking about male-female relationships here...friendship works in a similar way. If there's a thing that bothers one person should they just sit down and tak about it till they come to conclusion? I have always thought this is the best way to solve problems....talk about them and move on. You know the situation when something is going on, we don't talk about it and then each person starts guessing or assuming different things and the situation is getting even more complicated (yeah, I can even remember a perfect example of such a situation happening not long ago). But, the other person may not really be much of a talker, they may not want to talk about their feelings or problems. And we all know opening up is not as easy as we would like it to be. And what then? Force them? That's why that question stays in my mind....'in a relationship, do you have the right to be silent?"


Now who would have thought a silly soap can make you think...

1 comment:

Stu said...

Hmm? Tough question indeed. But as you know (from previous experience, lol) its got to be better to talk than to be silent? Though its sometimes hard to stay silent at times, especially when something is on your mind and the 'voices' in your head eventually take control and they then get out of control as your to scarred to ask questions? So my conclusion is that its better to talk outright, rather than 'going around the houses' by trying to read the thoughts?
Yeah, I know im talking jibberish but I have the t-shirt which says 'Ive been around the houses!!' lol